Spicy Pasta Alla Vodka with Basil SauceCourse: MainCuisine: Italian
1 pound rigatoni pasta
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 shallot, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp cayenne pepper
4 oz. tomato paste
¼ cup vodka
1.5 cup heavy cream or half & half
grated parmesan cheese for serving
- Basil sauce
combine below ingredients into blender or food processor
3 cups fresh basil
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp water
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 2 cups of pasta water before draining.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, olive oil. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened and darkened.
- Add vodka to pot and stir to incorporate, cook another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm over low heat.
- Return sauce to medium heat and add 1/2 cup of pasta water and heavy cream, stirring to combine.
- Add cooked pasta and incorporate all that sauce with the pasta really well. If needed, thin the sauce with additional pasta cooking water and seasoning with salt if needed.
- Serve topped with basil sauce and grated parmesan cheese.