Dinner tonight is Chimichangas smothered in Chipotle Crema sauce!! This Air-fried Chimichanga recipe is stuffed with Rice, Beans, Veggies and Cheese and top it off with incredible chipotle crema sauce.
Chimichangas with Chipotle CremaCourse: Main CourseCuisine: Mexican
1 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp garlic
2 cups spinach, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 can black beans
1 cup frozen corn
1 (8.8 oz.) UncleBen’s Ready Rice Spanish Style Rice packet
2 Tbsp taco seasoning
1/4 cup cilantro
6 flour tortillas (burrito size)
1 cup Mexican blend cheese
- Chipotle Crema Sauce
2 tbsp butter
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup broth/water
1/2 cup diced onion
1 tbsp garlic
1 (10 oz.) can of Rotel diced tomato
2 chipotle adobe pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp chipotle adobe sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream or use 3 slice white american cheese
1.5 tsp honey
1/4 cup cilantro
Pico de Gallo
- Make the Sauce
- In a sauce pan, melt butter on a medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, chipotle peppers and chipotle sauce and cook for 3-4 min.
- Add the flour and stir until a thick paste forms. Cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually whisk in the broth and continue whisking until smooth and sauce reaches desired creamy thickness. Stir tomato, honey, cilantro. Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add heavy cream or if your using slice cheese add torn pieces of slice cheese and properly blend the cheese into the sauce.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool down a little. Add sour cream and using hand blender, blend the sauce until smooth.
- Make the filling
- Heat Spanish rice as per packet direction.
- Heat oil in the skillet. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeno and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add peppers and corn and continue to stir for 3-4 min. Add beans, cooked Spanish rice, cumin powder, chili powder, taco seasoning, salt & pepper.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes then add the spinach, & cilantro and mix well. Set aside.
- Assemble Chimichanga
- Place couple of spoonsful of the veggie’s mixture onto the bottom third of a tortilla. Sprinkle each with some cheese. Fold it like burrito.
- Set air fryer 370. Lightly spray folded chimichanga with oil. Place it seam side down in air fryer.
- Cook for 9-10 min flipping halfway. Remove and top with a ladle full of chipotle crema sauce!! Add desired toppings on top and Enjoy!!