Instant Pot Lentil Kale Soup is a hearty, satisfying and comforting meal. With Autumn setting in, and Summer on its way out the door, It is one of the best kinds of meal for the fall/winter season. This soup packed with vegetables has a hint of heat from some cumin, cayenne and red pepper flakes – giving it a lovely, warm, spicy flavor. The instant pot is the quickest way to create delicious soups at home.
Lentils are a staple at my home; makes for a great dinner any night of the week and an Instant Pot pressure cooker makes it easier than ever. Brown lentils hold their shape and retain a very slight bite. If you prefer a softer texture, cook for 15 minutes.
Lentil Kale SoupCourse: MainCuisine: Mediterranean
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cups dry brown lentils, washed and drained
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoons tomato paste
2 bay leaves
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1.5 cups kale destemmed, roughly chopped
½ tsp red crushed pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp thyme
salt & pepper to taste
½ lemon, juiced
4 cups vegetable broth or water
parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Turn on the Instant Pot in sauté’ mode. Add the olive oil and let it heat for a minute. Then add the garlic, bay leaves, thyme, carrots, onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft, 4-5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add all the dry spices and sauté for another minute.
- Finally add the lentils, vegetable stock, salt and mix all the ingredients gently. Close the lid and cancel the sauté mode and set pressure cook/manual for 10 minutes, high pressure, on sealing mode.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished the pressure cooking cycle, hit ‘Cancel’ and perform a quick release of pressure and open the lid of the Instant Pot.
- Add in the chopped kale and lemon juice and stir to combine. Taste for the seasoning and adjust accordingly. Sprinkle with chopped parsley or cilantro before serving.