This Mexican-inspired sandwich is filled with flavorful puree of Black Beans, Mushrooms & Poblano Peppers , guacamole and drizzled with Chipotle Garlic Sauce, give this sandwich(tortas) a unique and delicious flavor profile that you and your family will love.
Traditionally, Mexican sandwiches are served on a on a soft roll called Bolillo(shorter baguette) but I have added my own twist here and using @stonefire Naan rounds and serving as a open face sandwich. These sandwiches can be served as an Appetizer to your next gathering. Just make beans and sauce ahead if time and just assemble right before the guest arrives.
Mexican Sandwich(Tortas) with Black Beans, Roasted Mushrooms & Poblano PeppersCourse: MainCuisine: Mexican
- Black Beans Puree
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 Habanero pepper or jalapeño
2 tbsp lime juice
2 garlic clove
1 tsp ground cumin
salt to taste
1 tsp chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Mushrooms & Poblano Pepper
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 poblano pepper, cubed
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup pepper Jack cheese, shredded
6 Stonefire Naan Rounds
1 cup red cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup white onion, chopped
2 jalapeño sliced
salt & peeper to taste
- Chipotle Garlic sauce
1/2 cup Mayonnaise or Greek Yogurt
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 tbsp chipotle adobo sauce
1 tsp Red Garlic chutney or (2 garlic cloves + red chili powder + salt)
1/2 tsp brown sugar or honey
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp lime juice
- Make the Beans
- Place the beans, habanero pepper, lime juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder and 2 tbsp water into a food processor and blend until smooth. Taste test and season with salt. Add the cilantro and pulse until finely chopped. Keep aside.
- Make the Mushrooms & Poblano Pepper
- In a large sauté/skillet pan heat olive oil on a medium heat and add sliced mushroom, poblano peppers, garlic and pinch of salt. Sauté for about 6-7 minutes or until mushrooms are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
- Make the Toppings
- Mix the shredded red cabbage, cilantro, onions, jalapeños, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Set-aside until ready to use.
- Make the Sauce
- To make chipotle garlic sauce by adding all the ingredients in a blender and blend well until sauce is smooth.
- Assemble the Sandwich
- Pre heat oven to 375F.
- Spread black bean puree on to each Naan Rounds and sprinkle some cheese on top and place the naan rounds into the oven for 5 minutes until bottom of the naan is crispy and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven. Spread guacamole on top and add spoonful of mushroom mixture on top. Add toppings and drizzle with chipotle garlic sauce on top and Enjoy!!