Spinach & Herb Ricotta Stuffed ShellsCourse: MainCuisine: Italian
24 jumbo pasta shells, cooked al dente
24 oz Rao’s Arrabiatta Sauce
1.5 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Ricotta Filling
15 oz Ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
5 cloves garlic
4 small green chilis or 2 serrano peppers
1 bunch Basil leaves
1 cup cilantro
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp lemon juice and zest
- Spinach & Mushroom Filling
1 tbsp butter
8 oz baby spinach; chopped
1 cup baby bella mushroom; coarsely chopped
1 tbsp garlic; minced
1 shallots; coarsely chopped
1 tsp crushed red chili flakes
salt and pepper to taste
- Make the Ricotta & Spinach Filling
- In a food processor mix together chilis, garlic, cilantro, basil, crushed red pepper, lemon juice & zest and pulse until finely chopped. Add ricotta cheese, parmesan, salt & pepper and blend again until all blended together. Once mixture is made, set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms, shallots and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste. Add the spinach to the skillet and cover to allow the spinach to wilt, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine the ricotta cheese mixture with spinach & mushroom mixture.
- Make the Stuffed Shells
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Partially cook the pasta shells in water, 4-6 minutes. Strain the shells and lay in the pan.
- Lightly oil or spray a baking pan and spread about 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom. Fill each shell with 1-2 tablespoons of the ricotta & spinach mixture.
- Spoon the sauce on and around the shells. Top with mozzarella cheese. Cover the pan tightly with foil. Bake until bubbly and golden, about 20 minutes. If you want the cheesy top golden, take the foil off the last 3-5 minutes.