This Tawa Tofu Masala recipe packs in so much flavor and nutrients without having to spend hours in the kitchen; it is very easy to make, with very simple ingredients which you can find easily in your pantry!! Tofu is cooked in a tangy, onion-tomato masala with bell peppers and spices. I’m using Tofu for this recipe, however you can use Paneer if you prefer. It is one of the easiest and quick semi-dry curry you can prepare in no time.
Tawa Tofu MasalaCourse: MainCuisine: Indian
1 tbsp Ghee/butter
¼ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp hing (asafoteida)
12 oz Extra Firm Tofu, drained & cubed
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, cubed
1 cup red bell peppers, cubed
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp ginger & garlic paste
½ cup Rao’s Marinara sauce
¼ tsp turmeric
½ tsp red chili powder
½ tsp cumin & coriander powder
1 Tbsp pav bhaji masala
¼ tsp garam masala
½ teaspoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
salt to taste
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
¼ cup water
- On a skillet heat up butter. Add cumin seeds and let it sizzle. Next add the hing, onion and cook for about 7-8 minutes until it becomes soft.
- Add ginger & garlic paste, tomato paste, marinara sauce, pav bhaji masala, turmeric, red chili powder, cumin & coriander powder and salt.
- Mix well and cook over medium high heat for about 3-4 minutes more until oil is released from spices.
- Add bell peppers, tofu and mix well. Cook for about 2 minutes while continuously stirring. Add water and mix well. Place a lid on the pot. Reduce heat to low and let this cook covered for about 4 minutes.
- Add garam masala, kasuri methi and cilantro and mix well. Taste test for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- You can serve tawa tofu masala with toasted bread or pav or roti, and/or rice.