Can I have cheesesteak sandwich but hold the steak.?? This is how I would order my vegetarian version of cheesesteak sandwich at the restaurant. Just because we vegetarians don’t eat meat, we can still enjoy good cheesesteaks. A twist on a classic American recipe, with plenty of veggies and gooey melted cheese, my vegetarian cheesesteak sandwiches are perfect for anytime meal!!
The flavor on the vegetables is rich and deep, and it’s a very satisfying sandwich. This vegetarian “cheesesteak” is made with sautéed mushrooms, peppers, onions and broccoli along with my special sandwich/burger spicy spread. I add this spread to almost all of my sandwiches, burgers or rolls I make. It adds so much flavor and depth to the dish.
Veggie Philly CheesesteakCourse: MainCuisine: Italian
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 Jalapeño, sliced
1 cup broccoli florets
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp Adobo all purpose seasoning
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp oregano
4 Hoagie rolls
8 cheese slices (white American, provolone or pepper jack)
1.5 Tbsp butter
- Siracha Aioli
- Combine the following in a bowl:
¼ cup mayo
3 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
2 Tbsp sriracha
- Heat a large cast iron/non stick pan over medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil . When the pan is heated, add the sliced mushrooms and pinch of salt.
- Cook the mushroom mixture for about 5-6 minutes or until they start to brown then remove them from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add 1 tbsp oil, onions, garlic, jalapeno, peppers and broccoli. Sauté’ continuously until peppers & broccoli have become tender. Add the cooked mushrooms back into the pan along with soy sauce, adobe all purpose seasoning, oregano and crushed red pepper. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes. Don’t need to add salt since adobe seasoning already salt plus soy sauce.
- Heat your oven to 400℉.
- Toast both sides of hoagie roll with a butter on a skillet. Spread the roll with the sriracha aioli and top with the veggie mixture then cover it with slices of the cheese.
- Place the roll in the oven and toast until the cheese melts. Remove from the oven and serve with extra siracha aioli and Enjoy!!