All the bright, hot flavors of South American chimichurri sauce come together in one skillet for this easy dinner. Ever since first time I tried Chimichurri rice at my friends place, I was itching to try it out.
Fried rice is a quick and delicious way to transform leftovers into something delicious! I have incorporated all the chimichurri sauce ingredients into the rice no need to make separate sauce. It’s quick and easy perfect for a side dish or if you stir fry chicken or shrimp, it’s a ONEPOT meal!!
Chimichurri Fried RiceCourse: Main CourseCuisine: Latin, Mexican
3 cups cooked Basmati rice
1 small onion sliced
1/2 cup shallots, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp tomatoes paste
2 tbsp olive oil
1 ½ tbsp. Panca chili pepper paste or red chili powder
2 Tbsp red vinegar
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin powder
Pinch red pepper flakes
¼ tsp turmeric
1/2 cup green peas
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped cilantro
Salt & Pepper
- In a wok heat up the oil. Add the onion, shallots and garlic and cook over a low heat until soft.
- Add Panca chili pepper paste, tomato paste, turmeric, red pepper flakes, cumin and oregano and cook until fragrant for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the salt, peas, bell peppers and vinegar and cook for couple of minutes.
- Add cooked rice and stir fry quickly at medium high temperature, until the rice is warm.
- Add cilantro, mix well and serve hot!