Dum Aloo is a delicious recipe of baby potatoes cooked in a gravy. The picture says it all. Simple and elegant! Indian food doesn’t have to be deep fried and in rich heavy sauce to taste better. The whole family wished we made more to enjoy it the next day. So, word of advice DOUBLE the recipe!!
Dum AlooCourse: MainCuisine: Indian
10 small Potatoes, parboiled in salted water
1 large Onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp Ginger paste
1 tbsp Garlic paste
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup Greek yogurt or any plant based yogurt
1 pinch Asafoetida
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tbsp Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
1 tsp Sugar (optional)
1-2 tbsp heavy cream(optional)
1 tbsp Ghee
2 tbsp Cilantro Leaves, chopped
- Spice Paste
1 tsp Coriander Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
4 pod Green Cardamom
1 small piece of Cinnamon
3 dry red chili
- Peel par-boiled potatoes and prick them with a fork or toothpick. ( don’t over boil the potatoes)
- Make spice paste – Dry roast all the ingredients listed under spice paste for few minutes. Blend all the ingredients into blender and make a smooth paste.
- Add ghee in a pan and heat it. Add cumin seeds and a pinch of asafoetida and sauté for 8-10 seconds. Add bay leaves and finely chopped onion, ginger & garlic paste and salt & pepper sauté until onion turns light brown or for approx. 8 minutes.
- Add spice paste and cook for couple of minutes. Add tomato paste and cook more for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin and coriander powder and continue to mix until oil separates.
- Turn the flame to low and add whisked yogurt and stir the yogurt continuously as you mix it with the curry so that it doesn’t separate.
- Add boiled potatoes, 3/4 cup of water mix everything together and cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- When it starts to boil, cook covered on low flame until you get the desired consistency of gravy. Add kasuri methi, garam masala, and chopped cilantro and mix.
- If gravy is too thick add a little water. Turn off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, and heavy cream(optional) serve hot with Rice or Roti.