This pasta-less, low-carb eggplant lasagna is all the flavor and comfort of classic lasagna but without the noodles! Roasted eggplant slices, layered with a delicious Calabrian Chili Ricotta mixture with spinach and fresh herbs. Besides being a great gluten-free and low-carb alternative to classic lasagna, this comforting casserole is the perfect way to put a load of summer eggplant to good use.
This time of year, there is an abundance of fresh vegetables and herbs, this the perfect recipe to use both vegetables and fresh herbs. It’s a perfect light and healthy summer dinner!!
Eggplant Lasagna with Calabrian Chili RicottaCourse: MainCuisine: Italian
1 Large Eggplant cut into quarter inch rounds
1.5 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 (28 oz) jar Rao’s Marinara/Arrabiata sauce
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp oregano
1/4 cup EVOO
salt & pepper to taste
- Calabrian Chili Ricotta Mixture
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1 cup baby spinach (optional)
6 garlic cloves
1.5 cup ricotta cheese
2 tbsp calabrian chili paste
2 spicy green chili
salt & pepper taste
- Grill Eggplant
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, salt & pepper in a small bowl. Brush oil mixture on both sides of all of the slices.
- Place eggplant rounds on a baking sheet. Bake about 7-10 minutes each side.
- Make Calabrian Chili Ricotta Mixture
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine basil, spinach, garlic, serrano pepper, calabrian chili paste and salt & pepper to taste. Process until smooth.
- Add ricotta chees, salt, & black pepper blend until it’s all mixed together.
- Assemble & Bake Lasagna
- Preheat an oven to 375°F. Drizzle 1 Tbsp. oil in a shallow 3-qt. baking dish. You may also use a cast-iron skillet.
- Spread a small layer of the sauce on the bottom of pan. Top with the grilled eggplant slices, spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, spreading evenly across the entire dish.
- Now top with some more sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat this step 2 more time.(eggplant-ricotta mixture-sauce-mozzarella cheese)
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese, dry oregano and fresh basil on top of cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and broil on high 2-3 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.