Chana MasalaCourse: MainCuisine: Indian
- Chana Masala
2 (15.5 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons ghee or oil
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 whole dry red chili
1 Bay Leaf
1 large yellow onion finely diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger grated
1-2 thai green chili, chopped
1 cup canned tomatoes puree or 2 plum tomatoes finely diced
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp chana masala
1 tbsp garlic minced
1 tsp cumin coriander Powder
1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
¼ tsp ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon garam masala
½ tsp mango powder
1 cup cilantro chopped
- Indian Cruciferous Crunch
1 10(oz.) of bag from TJ’s Cruciferous Crunch (it’s a mix of Kale, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, Green Cabbage & Red Cabbage)
2 green chillies (thinly sliced)
2 tbsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
3-4 curry leaves (fresh/frozen/dried all work)
¼ tsp asophetida
½ tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
dash of lemon juice
handful coriander, chopped
- Make Chana Masala
- On the Instant Pot, select the Sauté setting. Add the the ghee and add whole bay leaves, whole red chili and cumin seeds stirring for 30 seconds until fragrant and golden.
- Add onions. Sauté 8-10 minutes until golden. You really want these to deeply caramelize so they add a nice sweetness. Add green chili, garlic and ginger paste sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes puree and tomato paste and half of the chopped cilantro stirring constantly, for about 4-5 minutes, scraping up any browned bits.
- Add in all the spices to it, chana masala, garam masala, cumin coriander powder, turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder. Mix it all and cook for 2-3 minutes or till oil starts to separate.
- Add drained & rinsed chickpeas, 2 cups of water and salt and give a good stir, scraping up any browned bits ( to prevent burn error).
- Set Instant to High Pressure for 6 minutes. Naturally, release for 10 minutes then manually release.
- Open the pot and stir in the chopped cilantro and mango powder. Stir well and Enjoy!
- Make Indian Cruciferous Crunch
- Heat oil in a pan, once hot add the mustard seeds, and let them pop.
- Once the seeds pop, add the asophetida, curry leaves, chillies, turmeric powder.
- Add cruciferous crunch mix and salt and mix and let it cook for 5-6 minutes uncovered.
- Turn off the heat and add the coriander and lemon juice.
- Remove from the pan and let it cool uncovered. Enjoy as a part of a balanced meal, works really well as a side to your protein/carb, or even as a snack.