Healthy Mexican comfort food that’s loaded with veggies , beans and smothered with enchilada sauce and topped with cheese!! This recipe is an easy weeknight meal that everyone will love and trust me it tastes better than from a restaurant!!
Smothered Veggie BurritoCourse: Main CourseCuisine: Mexican
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small Vidalia or white onion, sliced
1 Tbsp garlic
1-2 jalapeño, sliced
1 cup Red & Green bell pepper, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
1 yellow squash, sliced
1 cup broccoli florets
1.5 cup baby spinach
1 tbsp taco seasoning
1 tsp Red chili powder
1 (16 oz) pinto or pink beans can, drained
1 (19 oz) red enchilada sauce can
2 tsp @texaspetesauces hot sauce
6 large flour tortillas (10-inch, burrito size)
1 1/2 cups Mexican shredded
1/4 cup cilantro, some for garnishing
- To a large skillet, add olive oil, onion, jalapeño and cook over medium-high heat for couple min. Add peppers, broccoli, zucchini, squash, garlic and salt & pepper.
- Cook for 7-8 min while stirring continuously. Add beans, spinach and chopped cilantro. Add the taco seasoning, red chili powder and @texaspetesauces hot sauce and stir to combine and cook for 2-4 minutes then turn off the heat and set aside.
- Lay tortillas on the plate, spread spoonful full of enchilada sauce all over the tortillas. Evenly top with the veggies & bean mixture down the center, and evenly distribute cheese down the center of each tortilla.
- Wrap the tortilla into a burrito; top the burrito with ladle full of enchilada sauce, and sprinkle cheese. Place the plate in a Microwave and cook for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with cilantro, lettuce and pico de gallo and serve immediately!!