If you love the taste of enchiladas, then you must try this protein packed casserole. Quinoa, black beans, corn, veggies topped with a enchilada sauce and cheesy goodness! This Mexican style quinoa is a healthy and delicious meal that will become a staple at your house.
Sometime I use instant Mexican rice packet instead of quinoa. It can be served by itself for a main dish or as a side dish with tacos, burritos or fajitas.
Southwest Quinoa EnchiladaCourse: MainCuisine: Mexican
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 (10-ounce) can Enchilada sauce
1 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 jalapeño, chopped
3/4 cup corn kernels, frozen
1 can black beans
1 red bell peppers, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp taco seasoning
Salt per taste
1 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese, divided
- Garnish: Sliced Jalapeño, Avocado, peeled and diced, Green onion, chopped
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly and cook quinoa according to package instructions. Once cooked set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeño. Sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add in the peppers and corn and black beans. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin powder, taco seasoning, salt and cilantro. Turn off the stove and add cooked quinoa, 1/2 cup shredded cheese and stir to combine.
- In a baking dish add sautéed vegetable/beans/quinoa mixture. Pour in the enchilada sauce and stir.
- Top with remaining shredded cheese. Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, in a preheated 375 f oven.
- Remove foil and bake for additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and edges are bubbling. Remove from the oven, and let it set.
- Garnish with toppings and serve warm.